Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Warm Up. Rose ch. 5

Q 1:
The main type of writing and reading in Rfose ch. 5 that particularly struck me was the assignments that he was giving to his thursday lunchroom group. He had a group that were somewhat struggeling reading and writing students to different degrees. The assignments that he was giving them were simple writing prompts that progressivly got more chalenging. They started out with simple prompts like giving them a picture and telling them to write about it and then progressed to letting them pick their own picture to write about or writing after they have listened to a song. I think that this method was chosen because of the openness of it. the students were allowed to slowly work into writing outside of their comfort level instead of being pushed into something that made them feel aquard or uneasy.

Q 2:
The most significant piece of school language in the chapter that I noticed was the report on Harold. This report was disturbing to me. It was his files from years back and to me showed no compassion or dedication or determination to make things for poor Harold. The harshness and talking town town I thought were not necessary and only perpetuated the problem. The whole time I was reading all I could think about was what were these teachers doing to help Herold excell besides badgering him for not being profecient.

No comments: