Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One of the main patterns that I saw was simply that every family or close nit group has these specific terms that they use. Some of them were a bit complex and you would probably only know what the meaning is if you were a part of the circle and some were pretty basic. You could probably understand the meaning from context alone. The other pattern that I noticed was that they all had a unifying factor. Some seemed to have close deep meanings between the parties that created a tight bond and to a lesser extent some simply created a common ground between people. I found this very interesting. This to me conveys the true importance of language in the family context. Having some silly word that only you and your family use seems unimportant and trivial but as I said earlier, it can truly unify. Common language can create strong bonds.

No comments: