Monday, September 1, 2008

One phrase that has always been used in my family home is the term "shifter." This word is obviously a substitute for the heavily debated term of a television remote control. I have herd people use words ranging from remote, to changer, to clicker, even to zapper. I was always brought up with my parents using the word shifter because of the fact that you shift channels. Another term that my family used growing up was that of "The Dangerous Room." The dangerous room was a room at the back of our house where the ironing board and the sewing machine were kept. The origin of this coined term was to keep my sister and I out of the room when we were children for reasons of keeping the both of us safe from hazardous objects such as hot irons and sewing needles. As I began to grow up I believe that I found another reason for the dangerous room being titled as it was. This is also the room that my parents would keep presents that were supposed to be from the jolly old St. Nick when Christmas rolled around. They figured that as long as they had already instilled a fear of the room in us, why not use it to there advantage and hide secrets in there as well. These are several terms that Hold Specific meaning to me and my family and probably mean very little to others.

4 comments:

Jaykay18 said...

Your two examples of language specific to your family were great. I can remember certain phrases my parents used to scare us away from something. Those memories always seem to stick with you long after you realize just how silly your parents tactics were. I enjoyed reading your post.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your two examples because I think that those specific words/phrases pertain to a lot of family's. I like the way that the idea of the language of the 'dangerous room' seemed to create a bond between you and your sister that you guys can reflect back upon now, and in the future. This was a funny one to read and it made me laugh! it was great!

Brittany said...

I found this very compelling because when I first scanned it and saw the words you choose, I had absolutely no idea what the family terms referred to, which is why I had to keep reading. With the term ‘shifter,’ I noticed that it was a word that was just used with your immediate family- not a universal term. After reading it I thought of a family I know that says brooming instead of sweeping. In the same way your blog demonstrated, if you are not in that circle you simply do not know what it means. This differs from my family because we all say things that do have a universal & undisguised meaning, you just have to be a part of the family, thus “you have to be there” to get it.

ecgiacom said...

Shifter! I love it! I have never heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense! My friend's family always said, "the box" but that never made a lot of sense to me because the remote is shaped more like a rectangle... right? Also, the "dangerous room" is funny in retrospect I'm sure. I guess it could be considered dangerous for your parents too if they were ever discovered! I like how only your family would know what these phrases mean, and am guessing it keeps you all connected in some small way or another.